What does your morning routine consists of today?
- Checking email?
- Turning on the news, to hear what happened overnight?
- Making the first cup of coffee, tea or smoothie?
- Checking all of your social media accounts?
- Reading the news on your smart tablet or phone?
Personally, I know in the past if you asked me about my morning routine I would have answered YES to all of the above. Today, my morning routine does not consist of any of the above after listening and reading information about morning routines, so I decided to step away from other people’s agenda.
“The inbox is nothing but a convenient organizing system for other’s people’s agendas.” – Brendon Burchard
Waking up to the inbox and the latest social media posts isn’t serving you and it allows your mind to be absorbed by what others desire for your life. So how do you move away from allowing others to start your day? You take back your morning!
A productive day begins with the morning routine.
The shift from doing the above in the morning isn’t something which you done when feel it. It requires you making a choice that you will no longer do the above. A choice to begin filtering what goes into your mind upon waking up. The below list will allow transformation to occur, however you must desire it. The choice is yours.
5 ways to transform your morning routine.
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier. What? Yes, get up 15 minutes earlier. Inside the book The Perfect Day Formula, the author Craig Ballantyne explains that “This will allow you to attack your number one priority first thing in the morning.” Now I probably know what you are thinking. “Cardiff my number one priority is email!” Would you rank email ahead of your mindset, family, self-care or your finances. I trust you said “No”. Getting up 15 minutes earlier can springboard you doing the remaining actions to transform your morning routine.
- Spend time in gratitude. Do you have a journal? Yes the kind which have open pages to capture your thoughts. Well, if you asked me that question a few years ago, the answer would be NO! I felt journaling was for “those other people”. I believed I could keep all my thoughts and ideas in my head. Having a journal will allow you to capture what you are grateful for. I’d recommend you find five things every morning you are grateful for. The Harvard Medical School published an article entitled Giving Thanks Can Make You Happier. Starting your morning in gratitude will increase your happiness.
- Put positive FOOD into your mind. What? Not real food, however something to create an emotional connection to your life. It could be reading the bible, watching a motivational clip, reading a book or quotes, anything to stir positive wavelengths to your mind. I spend time reading the bible and absorbing the teaching of Darren Hardy and journal on what I’m reading and hearing during my morning routine.
- Mediate. I know what you might be thinking, “No Way, can I mediate.” I thought the same thing also. I would read articles on mediation and say to myself, “not for me!” I’d listen to podcasts and hear the guests talk about mediation and one of my mentors and a coach discussed it and this time I said “Ok, I will try”. I noticed my stress level went down and my focus improved! The Huffington Post has an article online entitled 8 Ways Meditation Can Improve Your Life. Inside the article you can learn about the other six benefits which you can experience.
- Stretch and Hydrate. Have you ever awoken and took the first step out of the bed and said, “My back hurts or my legs are sore”? I know I have! Each night when you rise, the body’s biological clock suppresses anti-inflamatory proteins during sleep. You didn’t realize that I have a MD degree did you? Actually, there is a great article published in the Telegraph News entitled, Why Do We Wake Up Stiff In The Mornings. So stretching each morning can loosen up your muscles and joints so you have more mobility. Also hydrate yourself with water when you first wake up with at least 16oz of water. “Water fires up your metabolism, hydrates you, helps your body flush out toxins, gives your brain fuel, and may even make you eat less.” – Chris Bailey from an article entitled Killer morning habit: Drink 16oz of water, right after you wake up.
The Big Question
So the question is, will you stay away from the news, social media and your inbox and jump start you morning routine by implementing these strategies? Now you have the knowledge, so what will you do with the knowledge?
“Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.” – Anton Chekhov
I trust you put these action steps in place and jump start your morning routine!