I enjoy sports. It’s one of the few things I make time for in my often-hectic schedule — that and my family, of course. But my love for the game isn’t just about the skill of an athlete, the rivalry between teams, or the strategy in a win.
Watching sports is like witnessing a story unfold in real time. And as with any good story, it has something to teach us. It’s something we can apply to our lives.
Take those athletes who find the will to win after being down in the game or the batter who hits a homerun in the bottom of the ninth and wins the game. The perseverance to succeed should serve as an inspiration to all of us.
Sports are simply filled with learnings if you choose to look for them. So to continue looking toward success, here are 15 my favorite quotes from those involved in the game:
- I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed. ~ Michael Jordan
- Do your best, one shot at a time, and then move on. ~ Nancy Lopez
- Never limit yourself, never be satisfied, and smile… It’s free! ~ Jenny Finch
- If you are afraid of failure you don’t deserve to be successful! ~ Charles Barkley
- If you only ever give 90% in training then you will only ever give 90% when it matters. ~ Michael Owen
- If you don’t love what you do, you won’t do it with much conviction or passion. ~ Mia Hamm
- Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t. ~ Jerry Rice
- Champions keep playing until they get it right. ~ Billie Jean King
- You can’t get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good. ~ Jerry West
- The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary. ~ Vince Lombardi
- I may not be able to outsmart too many people, but I can outwork ‘em. ~ Woody Hayes
- It is so easy to be average. It takes a little something to be special. Why be around average? ~ Urban Meyer
- Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second. ~ William James
- I don’t run away from a challenge because I am afraid. Instead, I run toward it because the only way to escape fear is to trample it beneath your feet. ~ Nadia Comăneci
- Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there. ~ John Wooden
Success is a daily walk, and you can infuse what others have said to provide the energy you need to keep going. I offer these quotes to you to help remind you how you can overcome almost any adversity and move that much closer to success. The power is within you.
If you’ve got an athlete or coach quote that resonates with you, I’d love to hear them. Please feel free to share in the comments below.