Should I wait to set my 2018 goals or set them now? The majority of people you ask would probably say, “Wait, you have plenty of time”. While the select few would say, “Begin, start to chart your course for your goals today.”
It’s Only August
I know, its only August 22nd and here we are taking about next year really? I know what you are thinking, “I haven’t even accomplished my goals for this year and you want me to think about next year!” Indeed I do.
Earl Nightingale, said it so profoundly,
“People with goals succeed because they know where they are going.”
I realize that January 2018 is over four months away, however, today is the time to begin to shape where you want to go in 2018. Not in terms of vacations, while you could have a vacation goal, but more in terms of your life.
Before I provide the reasons why to take action on writing out your goals now, lets look at a few goals facts.
- 92% of all New Years resolutions fail by January 15th.
- Sharing your goals with a close ‘confide’ is proven to increase the chances of you achieve your goal.
- Only 3 out of every 100 adults write down their goals on paper.
- Setting the goals is the first step to turning the invisible into possible.
There are many other facts which can be found in this Goal Band article.
To be honest with you, if you asked me if I wrote my goals down several years ago, I would have told you “No.” After pondering why, I would have responded, “Everything is going good, I don’t need too.” So, lets be honest. Do you physically take time to write out your yearly goals? Not in your mind, on physical paper or in a journal?
Setting Your 2018 Goals Now Starts The Wave
Understanding the reasons to commit to writing you goals now will create the path forward towards achievement. Here are four reasons why now is the time to begin.
- Intention. Taking the time to write out your goals sets intention for the future. Imagine you want to take drive to a small city you don’t know the exact directions. Would you ensure to find the directions via Mapquest or in another mapping device or would begin driving and see where your vehicle takes you? Of course, you would utilize a mapping device to ensure you arrive at your destination. Writing what you want to achieve sets momentum and is the gateway to achievement.
- Allows you to take inventory. When you set your goals, if your goals are BIG you need to take inventory on what is needed to achieve. I recently heard a great interview about reverse engineering your goal to achieve on the The Side Hustle Podcast . When you do a process like this, you are taking inventory on what is needed for achievement. I believe one of the reasons many resolutions/goals fail by January 15th is that the individual didn’t take inventory. They jumped into a boat towards the goal and didn’t have any idea of what was needed.
- Separate yourself. When you think about it, are others willing to sit down in August and write out their goals for 2018? I would say the majority are not thinking about 2018. However you are different. You desire to achieve, you desire to do something and guide your life. Les Brown said, “You must be willing to do things today others won’t do, in order to have the things tomorrow others won’t have.” If you take action, which I know you will, you are in small percentage.
- Ignites the fire within. Within you there is a fire burning to achieve. You have an emotional connection to achieve. Taking the time to focus on 2018, provides the logs to ignite the fire within you. It open the possibilities within your mind and it sets the path for you to achieve.
Recently I took the time to draft out my goals and it allowed me to see clearly and identify what help and resources I need for each goal. It started the wavelength of belief needed now to reach the goals in 2018. Don’t sabotage yourself by believing it isn’t possible, trust and know possible is what you define as possible. Take the time and see the possibilities within your 2018 goals today.
To help further your clarity, share your goals with a coach, mentor or trusted friend after you write them and ask that individual to check on your progress. Allow them to be your accountability partner.
January 1st, 2018 will be here sooner than you know it. Will allow yourself to fall into the “resolution crowd” or will you set aside time on your calendar to write out your goals for 2018 now?
It’s a choice.
“Every choice you make has an end result.” – Zig Ziglar
PS: Would you like to receive a document, I put together to help you design your development plan for 2018? Its a free resource which helps you identify what resources or skills are needed to help achieve your 2018 goals. To receive the document email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment below and I will send the pdf to you.
Your job as captain of your boat is to guide the boat is to guide the boat with a purpose and mission. ~ Cardiff D. Hall
What does your morning routine consists of today?
- Checking email?
- Turning on the news, to hear what happened overnight?
- Making the first cup of coffee, tea or smoothie?
- Checking all of your social media accounts?
- Reading the news on your smart tablet or phone?
Personally, I know in the past if you asked me about my morning routine I would have answered YES to all of the above. Today, my morning routine does not consist of any of the above after listening and reading information about morning routines, so I decided to step away from other people’s agenda.
“The inbox is nothing but a convenient organizing system for other’s people’s agendas.” – Brendon Burchard
Waking up to the inbox and the latest social media posts isn’t serving you and it allows your mind to be absorbed by what others desire for your life. So how do you move away from allowing others to start your day? You take back your morning!
A productive day begins with the morning routine.
The shift from doing the above in the morning isn’t something which you done when feel it. It requires you making a choice that you will no longer do the above. A choice to begin filtering what goes into your mind upon waking up. The below list will allow transformation to occur, however you must desire it. The choice is yours.
5 ways to transform your morning routine.
- Wake up 15 minutes earlier. What? Yes, get up 15 minutes earlier. Inside the book The Perfect Day Formula, the author Craig Ballantyne explains that “This will allow you to attack your number one priority first thing in the morning.” Now I probably know what you are thinking. “Cardiff my number one priority is email!” Would you rank email ahead of your mindset, family, self-care or your finances. I trust you said “No”. Getting up 15 minutes earlier can springboard you doing the remaining actions to transform your morning routine.
- Spend time in gratitude. Do you have a journal? Yes the kind which have open pages to capture your thoughts. Well, if you asked me that question a few years ago, the answer would be NO! I felt journaling was for “those other people”. I believed I could keep all my thoughts and ideas in my head. Having a journal will allow you to capture what you are grateful for. I’d recommend you find five things every morning you are grateful for. The Harvard Medical School published an article entitled Giving Thanks Can Make You Happier. Starting your morning in gratitude will increase your happiness.
- Put positive FOOD into your mind. What? Not real food, however something to create an emotional connection to your life. It could be reading the bible, watching a motivational clip, reading a book or quotes, anything to stir positive wavelengths to your mind. I spend time reading the bible and absorbing the teaching of Darren Hardy and journal on what I’m reading and hearing during my morning routine.
- Mediate. I know what you might be thinking, “No Way, can I mediate.” I thought the same thing also. I would read articles on mediation and say to myself, “not for me!” I’d listen to podcasts and hear the guests talk about mediation and one of my mentors and a coach discussed it and this time I said “Ok, I will try”. I noticed my stress level went down and my focus improved! The Huffington Post has an article online entitled 8 Ways Meditation Can Improve Your Life. Inside the article you can learn about the other six benefits which you can experience.
- Stretch and Hydrate. Have you ever awoken and took the first step out of the bed and said, “My back hurts or my legs are sore”? I know I have! Each night when you rise, the body’s biological clock suppresses anti-inflamatory proteins during sleep. You didn’t realize that I have a MD degree did you? Actually, there is a great article published in the Telegraph News entitled, Why Do We Wake Up Stiff In The Mornings. So stretching each morning can loosen up your muscles and joints so you have more mobility. Also hydrate yourself with water when you first wake up with at least 16oz of water. “Water fires up your metabolism, hydrates you, helps your body flush out toxins, gives your brain fuel, and may even make you eat less.” – Chris Bailey from an article entitled Killer morning habit: Drink 16oz of water, right after you wake up.
The Big Question
So the question is, will you stay away from the news, social media and your inbox and jump start you morning routine by implementing these strategies? Now you have the knowledge, so what will you do with the knowledge?
“Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.” – Anton Chekhov
I trust you put these action steps in place and jump start your morning routine!
Choices define you. They have an impact on who you are and who you become. ~ Cardiff D. Hall
When people are asked what it takes to become successful, the following traits are often mentioned:
- Hard working
- Receptive to new ideas
- Not afraid to take risks
- Willing to step out of their comfort zone
- They love what they do
I agree with this list. Our probability of becoming successful increases if we have these important qualities. (Every successful person I’ve encountered exemplified what’s on this list.) While these are all keys to success, that’s not all we need: having a powerful brand and the right image can be just as important. In other words, the wrong image can prevent you from being successful no matter how hard you work.
Image Is Everything
As we discussed in a previous post , companies understand the importance of branding. Marketing executives work extremely hard to project the appropriate image to consumers. They understand this small but important detail can be the difference between being profitable or going out of business.
As individuals, that same philosophy applies. We must work just as hard on our brand and image as we do on achieving our goals.
However, there’s one problem both companies and individuals could encounter: it can be extremely difficult to change or repair a tarnished image.
For some of us, becoming successful means changing some aspects of our lives. For example, improving our brand or image could mean taking the following steps:
- Changing the way we dress
- Distancing ourselves from certain people
- How we conduct ourselves in certain situations
Each of these actions are key in how we are perceived by those around us, but is that enough?
Making the Image Change
How many of us are not the same person we were 5 or 10 years ago? Who among us woke up one day and simply said “I’m not that person anymore?” As I look back over my life, I can see areas where I have changed. I’m more mature, focused and serious about what I want to do with my life and where I want to be. As I changed, so did the image and how others perceived me. I wasn’t the same person anymore, and I wasn’t afraid to let others see that.
Trying to change your image can be challenging. People may be used to seeing you one way and be hesitant to accept the “new you.”
When it comes to transforming our brand and image many of us may be hesitant to make the change for many reasons:
Will they accept the new me?
Will I lose my friends?
What if it doesn’t work?
The fear of rejection or ridicule can be a huge deterrent in people changing their image. We all want to be liked and respected, but this abrupt change can cause those we care about us to not like or approve what of the person we are becoming.
The mere thought of that possibility can be terrifying.
This type of thinking can prevent a person from making positive changes in their lives or reach their full potential. They are simply unwilling to take the chance because they feel the risk is too great. They’re stuck. They have decided to live their life based on someone else’s perception of how they should be.
How many of us have been in this situation?
This quote from Socrates sums it up nicely:
The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.
It took me a while, but I finally realized no matter what I did, someone wouldn’t like it. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t please everyone. If I wanted to go left, someone thought I should go right. At some point I realized that the only person I could truly make happy was Cardiff.
Once I made this discovery, I spent less time worrying about what others thought and more time on transforming my image to what I wanted to be and making myself happy.
I know if I can do it, you can too.
Tips on Changing Your Image
Rebranding yourself may be a challenge, but it’s not impossible. Here are easiest ways to change your image and become the person you want to be:
Define who you want to be. Have a clear image in your mind of your brand and who you aspire to be. The more detailed the vison, the more likely it is to become a reality.
Commit to your new image. This could mean not doing things you used to do in the past.
Tell and show. Tell those closest to you about your new image, but also show them via your actions. Let them see that you mean business with their eyes. You’re not all talk.
Associate with like-minded individuals. It’s easier to change your image with new people because they don’t know the “old” you. Find individuals who fit the image you are aspiring to be as they will be more receptive and provide valuable insight.
Have patience. Patience is required on two fronts: Old habits may be hard to break, and those closest to you may have a hard time accepting the new you. In each instance, resist the urge to give up. Patience is key.
Remind yourself why you’ve changed. Why do you want to change your image? Remind yourself when times become tough.
Stay true to yourself. Your new image should be a sincere extension of yourself. If people sense your new image is not sincere, they will reject it.
Don’t be afraid of change
At some point in our lives, we all feel the urge to change our image. While change can be scary at times, we should not place limits on ourselves or let someone stop deter us from becoming the best person we can be.
As you grow and evolve as a person, don’t be afraid to rebrand yourself, embrace it. You’ll be glad you did!
PS- You have ability to change your image and also change your thoughts. Dr. Wayne W. Dyer wrote a book entitled: Change Your Thoughts – Change Your Life. Utilize this book to help create the change you desire. Click on the link for more information.
A new habit can only grow if you water it with commitment. ~ Cardiff A. Hall
One of the most important aspects of running a successful business is branding and imaging. Businesses will spend a considerable amount of time and energy carefully building their brand and the image they want to project to their customers.
They understand that the image they project will not only attract a certain type of consumer, but it could be a deciding factor on if they want to do business with them.
There are many benefits to creating a successful brand and image, but one of the most important is it can create a powerful and positive first impression.
For example, what is a person’s first thought when they think of Mercedes-Benz or see the logo? For many, class and prestige come to mind. Others may think of fine quality and exquisite designs.
This is the image they wanted to project and their plan has worked to perfection.
Branding Is Everywhere You Look
We are constantly bombarded by companies that are vying for our attention in the form of various advertisements and eye catchy logos. These images are everywhere, and we often form thoughts and feelings about those images within seconds. In other words, we could form opinions without having any direct contact with them. We will come to certain conclusions simply based on the image that company projects.
What makes this interesting is many of these thoughts are not based on logic, they are fueled by emotion. These companies understand if they can make a person feel good or create positive thoughts just by looking at them, they are one step closer to success.
Do you have any brands or logos that make you feel good just by looking at them? One of my favorite logos as a kid was the Kool Aid man. Every time I saw the Kool Aid man, I wanted a nice, cool refreshing glass of Kool Aid! Even today, I can close my eyes and clearly see my mother making it for us on a hot, summer day. I can even hear us all laughing and having a great time as we drank our delicious Kool Aid. OH YEAH!
That is an excellent example of branding perfection: The mere sight of the Kool Aid man evoked positive, happy emotions in me and countless kids everywhere. Even if I wasn’t thirsty, I wanted some Kool Aid! Am I the only one?
There are countless courses on branding for business and how important it is for success. Many people understand how branding works in a professional setting, but did you know branding is just as valuable in your personal life as well?
This is Business and Personal
When it comes to branding, Steve Forbes sums it up perfectly:
“Your brand is the single most important investment you can make in your business.”
Now when people read that, they may automatically think of a small business or Fortune 500 company. While that may be true, I see much more: I see myself.
I have learned to view myself as a business. Even in my personal life, I see a corporation that’s capable of doing great things.
Here’s another quote to consider:
“Your brand is what other people say about you when you’re not in the room.” Jeff Bezos, CEO and founder of Amazon
What many of us don’t realize is we are a walking, talking brand. Everything we do is scrutinized and used by others to determine who we are and what we stand for. The right image can take us far in life, while the wrong image can stop us dead in our tracks.
Defining Your Brand
How others see us may not be the same as how we perceive ourselves. This disconnect could cause confusion and many missed opportunities. Like a business, it’s critical we project the appropriate image we want to convey to those we come in contact with.
Ask yourself the following questions:
- What image do I want to project? How do I want to be perceived? Do I want to be seen as the leader? The strong, silent type? Fun and easy going? Tough, but fair? The comedienne or the serious one?
- What do people see when they look at me? Do they see the image I want to project? If not, what do they see? Do I look like relationship material? A model employee? Someone to be trusted?
- How do people feel about me? Does the image I project want people to be around me, or avoid me?
- Who is my target audience? The image you project to a 8 year old may be much different from the image you project to a co-worker, potential business partner or to the CEO
- What are my strengths and weaknesses? Am I good at taking control and solving problems? A good listener? Am I an impatient person? Have trouble staying focused?
- What are my short term and long term goals? Having something to strive for is key in creating your brand.
Be True To Who You Want To Be
Creating a quality brand is a tremendous accomplishment, but that’s just the beginning. It also must be sincere, believable and authentic. If people sense you are being fake or trying to be something you’re not, it will not work. We’ve all seen products that promised great results, but were poorly designed and full of cheap materials. Not only will I stop using their products, but I’ll tell all my friends about my experience as well.
We see this all the time in business, but it happens to people as well:
“Don’t listen to him, he’s not trustworthy!”
In the next installment of this special series, we will discuss the ways to become your brand. Are you ready to accomplish your goals? Are you ready transform into the person you want to be?
If so, stay tuned!
PS: Branding is about utilizing your strengths that you possess. My friend Alyssa Daire is the host of the podcast entitled: Maximize Your Strengths. We had a wonderful conversation you can listen here.
Always remember that failure will be a part of the process in any level of commitment. ~ www.tideturnersbook.com
Do you remember when you turned one and your parents had a birthday party for you? Well, I can barely remember mine, however I do recall my daughter’s first birthday.
We had balloons and gave her piece of birthday cake and suddenly the cake was everywhere!
It was all over her face, the high chair, the floor and our dog, Buckeye even had cake in her hair. It was an amazing day and the memory is etched in my mind.
A Birthday is special
Birthdays are special. Its marks the beginning and is something which is celebrated. When the word birthday is mentioned, what thought or expression comes to mind?
- Loved ones
I’m sure there could be others which come into your mind.
Tide Turners Newsletter Turns One
Just a few weeks ago, the Tide Turners Newsletter reached a milestone! On July 12th, 2016 I wrote my first article and every week since then, there has been inspiration, guidance and insights shared in each article.
Many of you have been with me since I first mentioned, I would be writing a weekly newsletter and I thank you! Several of you have sent comments regarding the articles which you found helpful and I thank you for taking the time to send a comment.
Email fills our inboxes everyday and my goal is not to fill your inbox with worthless material, however valuable content that if applied, can impact your life journey.
Birthday = GIFT
When you celebrate a birthday, there is usually a gift, so I have a gift for you! I’d love to provide you a compliment coaching session. A time to connect for: clarity, direction, advice on how to remove a roadblock, achievement habits, goals, or whatever you need in your journey of life. To schedule the birthday gift visit the Tide Turners Gift .
Tide Turners Newsletter Wish
Here are my wishes for the newsletter this coming year.
- Please share the article via social media so others can view or forward to a friend or co-worker.
- Please comment below or email me what topics or subjects you desire insights or focus on. You can email me at email@example.com
- Send feedback either positive or negative regarding the articles. You can do that in the comments or you can send an email.
I love what William Barclay says about birthdays, “There are two great days in a person’s life – the day we are born and the day we discover why.”
My final wish for you, is that you discover why. If I can help or serve you in anyway, please let me know.
It is my honor and I truly enjoy writing this weekly newsletter and serving you. Thanks for taking the time to open and read this email!
PS: To book your free coaching session visit Complimentary Coaching Session